November 25, 2016
Afghanistan: Evidence and Learning Note on Business Enabling Reform (BER) and Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE)
The objectives of this Evidence and Learning Study are:
- To provide evidence to assist DFID Afghanistan to determine what other BER areas could be tackled (apart from legal and regulatory reform) to ease Afghan women’s entry into the market.
- To provide lessons from BER and WEE strategies that have worked in countries similar to Afghanistan with respect to FCAS contexts, political economy frameworks, youth dimension and/ or institutional environment.
- To provide evidence of how BER and WEE programmes have managed to have a larger impact including guidance on steps required to achieve this impact (that is, the factors that have enabled impact at scale to be achieved.).
Afghanistan: Harakat Phase 1 (Technical Support)
Objectives Stage 1
The objective of Stage 1 is to provide support to Harakat in informing the organisational design of Harakat under the new business model. Detailed objectives are:
- To provide Harakat with a BER assessment covering diagnostic assessment of BE and development of a strategy and action plan for reform (supported by rapid research of what has worked for BE reform in FCAS),
- To provide support for the development of a strategy and action plan for reform (supported by rapid research of what has worked for BE reform in FCAS),
- To provide support for the development of the procurement process.
- Development of the procurement process.